Resident in Counseling
Are you tired of low self-esteem, anxiety, food struggles, and/or stress controlling your life? Are you feeling ashamed, confused, and fearful? What about overwhelmed, out-of-control, and exhausted? If so, I’m here to help. My goal is to encourage you to uncover your strengths, advocate for your needs, and meet your unique goals. I help teens and women regain the driver’s seat in their life through individual and group psychotherapy.
My mission is to help you trust yourself and live with confidence and authenticity. Therapy is a time for you, which means my approach is flexible based on your unique needs and goals. I utilize an integrative approach to therapy, which combines techniques from Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT), Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (DBT), and Motivational Interviewing. I encourage clients to continue our work outside of session through reflective journaling and practicing behavioral shifts. In treating eating disorders, I utilize a Health at Every Size (HAES®), All Foods Fit, and Intuitive Eating framework to help clients improve their relationship with food, exercise, & body image. I also approach this work with a trauma-informed lens and coordinate closely with clients’ dietitians and physicians to provide collaborative care.
I currently run a teen eating disorder recovery group and a therapeutic book club for adults in eating disorder recovery through Sunstone. I am currently accruing hours toward my Certified Eating Disorder Specialist (CEDS) designation. Additionally, I have multiple years of experience providing meal supports for clients struggling with disordered eating through Rock Recovery and Eating Disorder Recovery Specialists.
Education, Credentials & Memberships
• Resident in Counseling working toward my license as a Licensed Professional Counselor and practicing under the supervision of Colleen McCarron, LPC
• Master’s degree in Clinical Mental Health Counseling from Wake Forest University
• Bachelor’s degree from Southwestern University in Sociology
• American Counseling Association (ACA)
• American Mental Health Counselors Association (AMHCA)
• International Association of Eating Disorder Professionals (IADEP) of Alexandria
• National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI)
More about me:
• I’ve lived in 9 states, but I have called Northern Virginia home for the last 4 years
• In my down time I enjoy hot yoga, live music, and great coffee