Licensed Professional Counselor and Clinical Supervisor
““Why does this bother me so much?” Is a common question I hear in the midst of many therapy sessions. We assume we should be able to figure out the answers to all of life’s toughest problems on our own, and if we just think hard enough, we will figure them out. As I say to most of my clients, “If you could think your way out of this, you would have done that by now.”
My philosophy of counseling focuses on the experience of feeling emotions, and how to utilize rather than suppress them. I specialize in working with women with eating disorders, who are often experiencing emotional avoidance. I work with clients to explore how overthinking and under-feeling contribute to distress in familial and romantic relationships, histories of emotional and sexual trauma, career stress and burnout, perfectionism, and more generalized anxiety and depression. I have a particular interest and training in uncovering issues of shame, and difficulty with vulnerability based on the work of Dr. Brené Brown.
To help clients get more in touch with their emotional experience and improved relationships, I utilize an emotion-focused, relational approach. I draw upon theories of attachment, psychodynamics, mindfulness, and somatic experiencing to help clients understand how emotions show up in their relationship dynamics. I apply a more skills-based cognitive-behavioral approach to help lessen immediate behavioral concerns related to anxiety and depression. I believe healing happens in relationships, and hope ours can create fulfillment in your life.
Education, Credentials & Memberships
– Licensed Professional Counselor in the state of Virginia (license no: ).
– Virginia-approved clinical supervisor to Residents in Counseling, working toward their license in counseling.
– Master’s Degree in Community Counseling from Marymount University
– Bachelor of Arts Degree in Communication Studies from James Madison University
– Certified Daring Way™ Facilitator
– Working toward certification as a Certified Eating Disorder Specialist through the International Association of Eating Disorder Professionals.
– Professional memberships include Northern Virginia Licensed Professional Counselors (NVLPC), American Counseling Association (ACA), and International Association of Eating Disorder Professionals (IAEDP).
More about me:
– I am a native to Northern Virginia, and grew up in Centreville, VA. I live in Falls Church with my husband and rescue dog, Lola. In my free time I enjoy running, traveling to places where the sun is shining, and watching episodes of Friends on repeat.