Hugh Pinnock, LMFT
Licensed Marriage Family Therapist
|Alexandria (map it)|
|Teletherapy for residents of:|
- Adolescent (14-17)
- Adult (25+)
- Young Adult (18-25)
- Attachment Based
- Cognitive Behavioral (CBT)
- Dialectical Behavioral (DBT)
- Internal Family Systems (IFS)
- Marital/Premarital Counseling
- Solution Focused
Some commonly believed myths about couples counseling are (1) it’s the first step to divorce or separation, (2) a partner is going to feel outnumbered and gained up on, and (3) it involves nothing but tears, sweat, and pain.
I am passionate about helping couples heal and rebuild trust after experiencing hurt, neglect, or an affair. I am all about helping couples find their spark again developing habits and communication patterns that help connect them and feel understood by one another. I listen empathically to each partner and strive to understand their feelings and gain a complete picture of the relationship. Also, couples therapy can be fun! Humor lowers tensions and brings a sense of lightheartedness into therapy, reminding us all that we’re only human and can find the positive amidst the negative.
I help each client feel safe in expressing their feelings and emotions to your partner. I integrate guidance and principles from John Gottman in my work with couples. I get to know your relationship’s background – how it started, what brought you together, what you found attractive in one another. We then strengthen the trust and commitment in the relationship by exploring the positive, sharing admiration for one another, and managing conflict. These processes include learning to listen empathically, validate and reflect. As I work with clients, I recognize the importance of flexibility as well as the need for direction. I encourage open mindedness to various solutions and possibilities as my clients seek to accomplish their goals. I also hold my clients accountable to their goals and encourage persistence during difficult times.
I recognize that some couples may be living with habits around stonewalling, walking away, and emotional shutdown. In our sessions, I help couples regulate their emotions, communicate about what is going on inside them, and find alternate routes that connect them to each other rather than pull them apart.
- I’m a movie buff and enjoy reading, listening to and playing music.
- I also enjoy exercising and exploring the outdoors.
- I’m a professional parallel parker.
- Anxiety / Panic
- Emotional Regulation
- Body Image
- Career Counseling
- Conduct and Impulse Control
- Family Dynamics
- Life Transitions and Adjustment
- Relationship Conflict
- Religion and Spirituality
- Sex and Intimacy
- Social Skills
- Master’s degree in Marriage and Family Therapy from Virginia Tech
- Bachelor’s degree in Family Studies from Brigham Young University
- Level 1 trained in Gottman Method Couples Therapy
- Member of American Association for Marriage and Family Therapy (AAMFT)