Resident in Counseling
If we can expect anything in life, we can expect change. Change often brings excitement and growth but sometimes these changes feel overwhelming, scary, daunting, stressful, or just too much to tackle alone. In therapy, I will help you navigate life’s transitions through empowerment and a deeper understanding of one’s self. As a therapist, I believe you are your own expert, and I will use each session to support your journey and provide a safe place for you to work through the things that bring you to therapy.
Sometimes what brings us to therapy isn’t always what we end up focusing on in sessions. I will follow you on your counseling journey and provide you a nonjudgmental space to foster growth and create unconditional support. I have experience working with the LGBTQIA2+ community with specialized training working with transgender individuals and parents of transgender youth. With over 15 years’ experience working in college admissions, I also bring a deep understanding of the needs of high school and college students. I work with adults and adolescents in individual or group settings. I work collaboratively with clients, drawing from several theoretical approaches that include relational-cultural theory, family systems, and humanistic counseling theories.
Together, we can work on finding healthy ways to traverse life including the beginning or ending of a relationship, a personal or family crisis, overwhelming stress, empty nest, grief/loss, career or academic changes, or parenthood. This often leads to work that focuses on issues of depression, anxiety, grief, and substance abuse. In my previous role as a counseling intern, I gained training and experience in crisis interventions while working with clients on issues of self-harm and suicidal ideations.
Education, Credentials & Memberships
• National Certified Counselor – Master’s of Science, Mental Health Counseling, Oklahoma State University
• Member of Society for Sexual, Affectional, Intersex, and Gender Expansive Identities (SAIGE)
• American Counseling Association (ACA), and Virginia Association for Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual & Transgender Issues in Counseling (VA-LGBTIC)
• Training and internship experience working with the transgender community
• Master’s of Art, Curriculum and Instruction, Oklahoma State University
• Bachelor’s of Art, Journalism, Oklahoma State University
More about me:
• I am a mother of two elementary-aged children and I love watching them grow and learn.
• I’ve been married to my spouse for over 20 years.
• Although I’m a native to Oklahoma, I call Northern VA home.
• I enjoy traveling and taking road trips with the family. Our favorite spots include National Parks and small towns off the beaten track.
• Someday I plan to road trip Hwy 1 from San Diego to Seattle in the West and from Lubec, ME to Key West, FL in the East.
• I enjoy swimming, riding bikes, skiing, and taking adventure walks with the kids.
• As an advocate for my family and clients, I spend some of my free time engaging in social justice activities on the local and state levels.