Janine Patel, MS, NCC
Resident in Counseling
|Teletherapy for residents of:|
- Adolescent (14-17)
- Child (7-10)
- Tween (11-13)
- Cognitive Behavioral (CBT)
- Mindfulness Based
- Person Centered
- Trauma Focused
Do you ever just want to throw your hands up and say “I give up, I can’t do this?” If the answer is yes, I want you to know you’re not alone. Life is hard, and no matter what you’re going through, you don’t have go through it alone. I believe that every individual is unique in their own way, bringing their own experiences and cultural backgrounds that only they could attest to. They are the experts of their own stories, and they possess their own innate strengths. It is my job to meet my clients where they are, help them uncover their innate strengths and resilience awareness, accompany them on their healing journey, and empower them with the tools they need to be successful.
I work with children ages 5+ and adolescents and South Asian adult female ages 18-28 experiencing a variety of struggles. These include Anxiety & Depression, Panic Disorders, Self-Esteem, Life Transitions/Adjustment, Stress Reduction, Anger Management, Coping Skills, Interpersonal/Family Conflict, School Issues, ADHD, Self- Harm/Suicidal Ideation, emotional regulation, Trauma and other behavioral issues in children and adolescents.
I offer talk therapy and play therapy approaches based on each individual’s needs and preferences. I use an integrative counseling approach in order to tailor therapy to best meet the needs of my clients. The foundation of my approach is a collaborative, client-centered, trauma-informed approach with the use of Gestalt Therapy, Mindfulness, Constructive Therapy (Solution-Focused & Narrative Therapy) and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT).
I bring a holistic and multicultural perspective when working with any client. My goal is to create a collaborative, trusting, warm, and non-judgmental space, where my clients feel comfortable and safe to speak. I believe a supportive space is key in helping individual create a long lasting, positive change in their lives.
- I was born in the United Kingdom and my family is originally from India.
- Traveling is in my blood. I have lived in 6 different countries before moving to the United States, and I have visited 33 countries so far.
- My hobbies include reading and spending time with family and friends.
- Anger Management
- Anxiety / Panic
- Attention Disorders (ADHD)
- Bipolar/Mood Disorders
- Conduct and Impulse Control
- Emotional Regulation
- Life Transitions and Adjustment
- Racial/Cultural Identity
- Relationship Conflict
- Self-esteem / Personal Growth
- Self-harm / Suicidal Ideation
- Stress and Overwhelm
- Master’s degree in Clinical Rehabilitation and Mental Health Counseling from Virginia Commonwealth University
- Bachelor’s degree in Psychology with a double minor in Childhood Studies and Sociology from Christopher Newport University
- National Certified Counselor (NCC)
- Member of Chi Sigma Iota Honor Society