Resident in Counseling
Julia can be reached at 540-874-2903 or
Is your life feeling like “too much” these days or like you’re barely treading water while navigating today’s increasingly complex world? You do not have to go through it alone. Life pulls us in many directions, and counseling allows for specific time that is set aside just for you to focus on your needs and to formulate goals. I believe that clients are the expert in their own lives, and we can work together using your life experiences to set goals and find tools that make sense for your life to help you improve your mental health and outlook over time.
To help clients to achieve their goals, I utilize a combination of techniques from Person-Centered Therapy, Solution-Focused Brief Therapy (SFBT), Narrative Therapy, and Cognitive Behavioral Therapy (CBT). I work with adults who are experiencing anxiety, depression, suicidal thoughts, stress, grief and loss, work challenges, trauma, boundary issues, family/relational issues, emotional dysregulation, issues with self-esteem and self-confidence, and clients who are experiencing life changes and transitions.
I work with clients who are curious and motivated, and together we can use the counseling experience to address today’s problems, with the aim of improved life satisfaction in the future. In addition to working with individual clients and couples, I facilitate several support groups and a workshop. Groups include: Weekly Divorce and Separation Support Group for Women, New Moms Online Support Group, Fertility Challenges Online Support Group for Women, and Expecting Moms Online Support Group. I am also a Bringing Baby Home Gottman Educator and facilitate a 12-hour workshop for new or expecting parents, called Bringing Baby Home (created by the Gottman Institute).
Education, Credentials & Memberships
- Resident in Counseling and National Certified Counselor working toward my license as a Licensed Professional Counselor and practicing under the supervision of Amy Clay, LPC.
- Master’s degree in Clinical Mental Health Counseling from Marymount University
- Dual bachelor’s degrees from the Cedar Crest College in Psychology and Marketing
- Professional membership in American Counseling Association (ACA)
- Trainings completed include: Bringing Baby Home Gottman Educator and Level 2 Training in Gottman Method Couples Therapy
More about me:
- I am originally from Pennsylvania, and now live in Reston with my husband, son, and labradoodle.
- I enjoy traveling, spending time on the water, hanging out with loved ones, baking treats, backpacking and spending time in nature, reading and watching TV