Laken Thomas, MA
Resident in Counseling
|Alexandria (map it)|
|Teletherapy for residents of:|
- Adult (25+)
- Young Adult (18-25)
- Attachment Based
- Mindfulness Based
- Person Centered
- Trauma Focused
Sometimes our lives can seem complicated, distressing, or just too much. Life may have presented many challenges along the way and figuring out where to begin can discourage us from starting at all. But, you don’t have to do this alone. My belief in therapy is that we all have the capability to overcome life’s challenges and you are the expert on your own story. From this, I meet my clients where they are, bring to light their inherent strengths, accompany them on their healing journey, and empower them with the tools they need to be successful.
I work with adolescents and adults experiencing a variety of issues, including depression, anxiety, gender identity/LGBTQIA+, interpersonal/relationship conflict, family conflict, trauma, boundary issues, emotional dysregulation, low self-esteem, life transitions, and coping skills. I am dedicated to creating an environment of trust, warmth, authenticity, and non-judgement for my clients. Fundamental to my approach is tailoring therapy to meet the needs of my clients by incorporating a variety of techniques and approaches. I do this through the foundation of a collaborative, client-centered, trauma-informed approach to mindfulness, Adlerian theory, and attachment theory. I work through a holistic, multicultural lens to help clients find fulfillment and satisfaction within themselves and the communities they identify with.
- I live in Alexandria with my financé and dog.
- I spend most of my free time hiking with my family, running, watching movies or reading.
- Traveling feeds my soul and I collect rocks from all the places I visit.
- Anxiety / Panic
- Emotional Regulation
- Career Counseling
- Chronic Illness/Pain
- Domestic Violence
- Family Dynamics
- Gender/Sexual Identity (LGBTQIA+)
- Grief and Loss
- Life Transitions and Adjustment
- Relationship Conflict
- Self-esteem / Personal Growth
- Stress and Overwhelm
- Trauma and PTSD
- Master’s degree in Clinical Mental Health Counseling from George Washington University
- Bachelor’s degree in Architecture from Keene State College
- Member of Northern Virginia Licensed Professional Counselors (NVLPC) and American Counseling Association (ACA)