Licensed Professional Counselor
Maya can be reached at 703-673-6147 or
I decided to go into the field of counseling because I believe that 1.) everyone deserves to know peace and happiness and 2.) no one should feel stuck for too long; there is so much to learn. My clients primarily include teens who feel overwhelmed but do not have the skills to properly express and overcome difficult emotions and adults who tirelessly pursue dreams and goals in the midst of complicated lives.
I am passionate about cultivating a sense of peace in an overwhelming world. My extensive wellness training includes a doctorate degree in counseling and many hours of training in meditative practices that soothe the nervous system. I am always inspired by individuals who are engaged in continuous soul-searching and personal growth. I particularly enjoy counseling college students. As a college professor, I find it easy to relate to the stress and pressures that students experience.
My approach draws primarily from Gestalt therapy, which focuses on the mind-body connection, and emotion-focused therapy, which facilitates the accurate expression of feelings. I am an avid reader and often draw inspiration for my sessions from the titles on my personal bookshelves. There is a ton of great information out there and I often share insights, articles, and podcasts with my clients. My hope is that everyone who works with me leaves a session with a renewed sense of hope, skills, and self-awareness.
Education, Credentials & Memberships
● Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC) in VA
● Licensed Clinical Professional Counselor (LCPC) in MD
● Certified Humanistic Sandtray Therapist (CHST)
● Approved Clinical Supervisor (ACS)
● National Certified Counselor (NCC)
● Doctor of Education in Counselor Education and Supervision
● Completed “The Power of Awareness”, a twelve-module training in mindfulness meditation with Tara Brach and Jack Kornfield.
Completed “The Happiness Program” – a three-part training in breathing practices founded by Sri Sri Ravi Shankar
Regularly attending classes in Qigong moving meditation since 2016
More about me:
● I grew up in Bulgaria, a beautiful small country in Eastern Europe.
● I have been teaching full-time as Assistant Professor of Counseling in an online graduate program since 2017.
● In my free time, I enjoy spending time with my family, reading, hiking, and baking.