Vanessa Cushing, MS, NCC
Resident in Counseling
|Teletherapy for residents of:|
- Adolescent (14-17)
- Adult (25+)
- Young Adult (18-25)
- Cognitive Behavioral (CBT)
- Feminist Theory
- Sex Therapy
- Solution Focused
- Trauma Focused
As a counselor I compassionately support and challenge those I work with to grow, reflect, and flourish in order to meet their treatment goals. My collective aim is to help clients eliminate distress, build more adaptive coping skills, gain insight into unhealthy patterns, and most importantly facilitate growth and healing. I am committed to creating a safe and trusting environment for all clients wherein they feel seen, affirmed, respected, and free to express themselves authentically.
I am trained as a generalist practitioner, I am competent in working with adults with a wide variety of concerns. However, I am currently in the process of becoming an AASECT certified Sex Therapist. My specialization in sex therapy allows me to work with clients with a wide variety of sexual issues including but not limited to: low sexual desire, erectile dysfunction, delayed ejaculation, female orgasmic disorder, Genito-pelvic pain/penetration disorder, premature ejaculation, reclaiming sexuality after trauma, sex addiction, and out of control sexual behaviors. I also specialize in integrative couples and sex therapy. I am also an LGBTQ+ affirming counselor.
My approach draws from cognitive behavioral therapy with a feminist orientation. This approach is especially useful in sex therapy because we are able to focus on psychological, relational, and social aspects of sexuality as well as utilizing cognitive and behavioral interventions. I also integrate mind-body interventions for trauma survivors.
It is important to note that my office is an inclusive and welcoming space for all folx.
Learn more about my specialization in integrative couples and sex therapy.
- I have a mini golden-doodle named Ginger. She is the cutest and sweetest girl.
- I am a huge fan of UVA sports – especially basketball and watch every game (wahoowa).
- I am a certified personal trainer and group fitness instructor and a passion of mine is to empower women in the fitness world.
- I love exercising, lifting weights, yoga, the outdoors (especially the pool in the summer), baking, and starbucks.
- Body Image
- Domestic Violence
- Gender/Sexual Identity (LGBTQIA+)
- Life Transitions and Adjustment
- Relationship Conflict
- Sex and Intimacy
- Stress and Overwhelm
- Substance Misuse
- Trauma and PTSD
- Master’s degree from Johns Hopkins University in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
- Dual bachelor’s degrees from University of Virginia in Psychology and Women and Gender Studies
- National Certified Counselor (NCC)
- Member of the American Counseling Association (ACA), Chi Sigma Iota International Honor Society (CSI), Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society (ΦΒΚ), American Association of Sexuality Educators, Counselors and Therapists (AASECT)