We provide a non judgmental space where you can openly talk about the challenges you’re facing around sex, sexuality, and gender identity. Across our life span it’s completely normal to experience ups and downs around sex – whether in a relationship or experiencing individual challenges. For individuals who are exploring their gender identity, it can be an understandably difficult time filled with questions and concerns. But you are not alone. We have highly trained and compassionate clinicians who specialize in sex, sexuality, and gender identity and are ready to support you on your journey.
We strive to create a safe and supportive space where you can be yourself and focus on gaining the tools and skills to overcome your challenges. Our empathetic counselors are trained in empirically supported interventions such as cognitive behavioral therapy, feminist therapy, sensate focused therapy, and psychoeducation.
Let our team of highly educated and professional specialists help you with your needs. Call us today for more information and to schedule your appointment.
Our counselors provide support in areas such as:
Individual Sex Therapy
- Low desire
- Delayed Ejaculation
- Erectile Disorder
- Female Orgasmic Disorder
- Female Sexual Interest/Arousal Disorder
- Genito-Pelvic Pain/Penetration Disorder
- Male Hypoactive Sexual Desire Disorder
- Premature (Early) Ejaculation
- Religion and sexuality
- Reclaiming sexuality after sexual assault and trauma
- Sex addiction
- Pornography addiction
- Sex and Technology
- OCBS (out of control sexual behaviors)
Integrative Couples and Sex Therapy
- Affairs and infidelity
- Kink & BDSM
- Polyamory & Consensual non-monogamy
Gender Affirming Care
- Gender identity
- Gender expression
- Informed consent letters for HRT and gender reassignment surgeries
- Parents of trans youth
Vanessa Cushing, MS, NCC – Resident in Counseling
☀️Vanessa Cushing, MS, NCC – Sunstone Resident in Counseling is available to work with you. To schedule with Vanessa email firstname.lastname@example.org, fill out the form below, or call Sunstone Counseling at 703-534-5100
As a counselor I compassionately support and challenge those I work with to grow, reflect, and flourish in order to meet their treatment goals. My collective aim is to help clients eliminate distress, build more adaptive coping skills, gain insight into unhealthy patterns, and most importantly facilitate growth and healing. I am committed to creating a safe and trusting environment for all clients wherein they feel seen, affirmed, respected, and free to express themselves authentically.
I am trained as a generalist practitioner, I am competent in working with adults with a wide variety of concerns. However, I am currently in the process of becoming an AASECT certified Sex Therapist. My specialization in sex therapy allows me to work with clients with a wide variety of sexual issues including but not limited to: low sexual desire, erectile dysfunction, delayed ejaculation, female orgasmic disorder, Genito-pelvic pain/penetration disorder, premature ejaculation, reclaiming sexuality after trauma, sex addiction, and out of control sexual behaviors. I also specialize in integrative couples and sex therapy. I am also an LGBTQ+ affirming counselor.
My approach draws from cognitive behavioral therapy with a feminist orientation. This approach is especially useful in sex therapy because we are able to focus on psychological, relational, and social aspects of sexuality as well as utilizing cognitive and behavioral interventions. I also integrate mind-body interventions for trauma survivors. I practice under the supervision of Amy Clay, LPC. It is also important to note that my office is an inclusive and welcoming space for all folx.
Education, Credentials & Memberships
• Master’s degree in progress in from Johns Hopkins University in Clinical Mental Health Counseling
• Dual bachelor’s degrees from University of Virginia in Psychology and Women and Gender Studies
• Member of the American Counseling Association (ACA)
• Member of Chi Sigma Iota International Honor Society (CSI)
• Member of and Phi Beta Kappa Honor Society (ΦΒΚ)
More about me:
• I am a huge fan of UVA basketball and watch every game (wahoowa).
• I currently live in Maryland for school but my family lives in Northern Virginia.
• I am a certified personal trainer and group fitness instructor and a passion of mine is to empower women in the fitness world.
• I love the outdoors (especially the pool in the summer), exercise, yoga, baking, and dogs.
☀️Interested in scheduling a session with me? Please fill out the form below, call our office 703-534-5100 and request to speak with Vanessa Cushing or email email@example.com. To learn more please site www.sunstonecounselors.com
See How Sessions Can Change Your Life!
Our Sunstone staff will match you with the ideal counselor for you based on your needs. Contact us and we will help you navigate booking your first session with confidence and support.
Always here when you need us.
Are you experiencing anxiety, grief, sadness, fear, loneliness, or many other difficult, overwhelming emotions? We are committed to providing safe, confidential, supportive, and accessible mental health services.
Our dedicated group of mental health professionals are available to help you through our HIPAA-compliant video platform, Theranest. We offer all our counseling services through our online video platform. Learn more about our virtual counseling here.
If you would like help choosing a counselor, you can click here or fill out this easy form. We look forward to hearing from you!
Sex Therapy / Resource Library
- The New Monogamy Agreement by Tami Nelson
- Getting the Sex you Want by Tami Nelson
- When you Cheat by Tami Nelson
- She Comes First by Ian Kerner
- Becoming Clitorate by Lori Menz
- Come As You Are by Emily Nagoski
- Pussy by Regina Thomashauer
- Rekindling Desire by Barry McCarthy
- Coping with Erectile Dysfunction (How to Regain Confidence and Enjoy Great Sex) by Michael Metz and Barry McCarthy
- Transgender and Gender Diverse Person: A Handbook for Service Providers, Educators, and Families by Alfred Carlozzi and Kurt Choate
- The Conscious Parent’s Guide to Gender Identity by Darlene Tando
- The Gender Quest Workbook: A Guide for Teens & Young Adults Exploring Gender Identity by Rylan Jay Testa, Deborah Coolhart, and Jayme Peta