Lauren Stuart, MS.Ed. MPhil.Ed.
Resident in Counseling
|McLean (map it)|
|Teletherapy for residents of:|
- Adolescent (14-17)
- Adult (25+)
- Child (7-10)
- Tween (11-13)
- Young Adult (18-25)
- Young Child (3-6)
- Cognitive Behavioral (CBT)
- Family Systems
- Internal Family Systems (IFS)
- Person Centered
- Play Therapy
One’s experience in therapy should be as unique as they are as a person.
In working with my clients, I do not use a one-size-fits-all approach because it assumes that one treatment or modality can meet the various needs of different clients. People come to counseling for a variety of reasons, anxiety, job stress, grief, parenting, a breakup, trauma, and so much more. Regardless of the reason, counseling can help one heal or overcome a difficulty in life. As a counselor, I want to create a space for my clients to bring themselves and their challenges as they are, and without fear of judgement.
I work with children, adolescents, adults, and families on a variety of issues, including anxiety, depression, autism, trauma, behavioral concerns, intellectual disabilities, life-transitions, self-esteem, disordered eating, parenting, and family dynamics. At the core of my work is creating a warm, authentic, and non-judgmental space for my clients as they go through the counseling process. I use an eclectic approach to tailor my work to the needs of my clients, drawing from CBT, family systems, person-centered, and psychodynamic practices.
In my work with children, I use a variety of tools, including play therapy, to work with each child individually. Working with adolescents and adults, I believe it is essential to work with them within the context of their environment and relationships. With children and adolescents, I believe that parental figures are an integral component in the counseling process, and as such, I believe in incorporating them into their child’s treatment. With families, we can work together to target a family’s goals and explore healthy forms of communication and boundaries.
- I grew up in Arlington, VA.
- In my free time I enjoy playing guitar, painting, reading, and spending time with
friends, family, and pets.
- I am a mom to a French Lop bunny and lots of plants.
- I love traveling and learning about different places and cultures.
- Anger Management
- Anxiety / Panic
- Attention Disorders (ADHD)
- Autism / Neurodivergence
- Bipolar/Mood Disorders
- Body Image
- Conduct and Impulse Control
- Emotional Regulation
- Family Dynamics
- Social Skills
- Trauma and PTSD
- Dual Master’s degrees from the University of Pennsylvania; M.S.Ed. in Counseling and Mental Health Services and M.Phil.Ed. in Professional Counseling
- Dual Bachelor’s degrees from the College of William and Mary in Psychology and Kinesiology
- Member of the American Counseling Association (ACA)