Below are some common questions we get. If you have a question that is not listed, please reach out to us!
About Sunstone Counseling
Why should I pick Sunstone?
Sunstone Counseling is a team of highly trained and dedicated counselors who believe in compassion, curiosity, calm, clarity, courage, connectedness, confidence, and creativity to guide clients to be the best version of themselves.
Comprised of more than 40 therapists with diverse backgrounds and expertise, we are uniquely positioned to meet the ever-changing needs of our clients and are committed to making our community a brighter place, one individual at a time.
How do I know which therapist is right for me?
We are committed to connecting you with the right counselor to walk with you through life’s challenges. When you first contact Sunstone, you’ll fill out a short form and we’ll respond with a curated list of counselors for you to choose from. If desired, you can schedule a free 15-minute phone or video consultation to talk with your counselor, and you can learn more about them here.
How often will I talk with my counselor?
Sessions are tailored to the needs and goals of the client, typically running 55 minutes, and varying in frequency, from weekly to monthly or as needed. We typically recommend clients begin therapy on a weekly basis, although each client will discuss the right frequency with their counselor. Counseling may be provided in individual, couples, family, or group session format.
What are your hours?
We are available seven days a week and have counselors ready to work with you early mornings, midday, and evenings. We always welcome new clients and have appointments available to fit your life. Contact us to schedule an appointment.
Do you offer video counseling services?
We offer individual, couples, family, and group counseling sessions through our confidential and secure video platform, TheraNest. You can rest assured that sessions are never recorded or shared and are compliant with the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) to protect sensitive patient health information.
When choosing a therapist for video counseling, keep in mind which location they serve in case you choose to see them in-person in the future.
Can I transition my video counseling into in-person sessions?
Yes! You can transition from video to in-person counseling with your therapist if their location is convenient for you. Contact us or talk with your counselor to figure out the best way to continue your counseling journey.
Do your therapists prescribe medication?
Our therapists do not prescribe medication, but we do make referrals to appropriate doctors or psychiatrists if we determine medication could be helpful.
Does Sunstone Counseling provide testing and assessment?
Sunstone Counselors use a variety of approaches including talk therapy, play therapy, and process-oriented therapy. We do make referrals to appropriate psychologists if we determine additional testing and assessment would be helpful.
How much will therapy cost?
How much do sessions cost?
We offer a range of rates from $75 – $180 per hour to fit your needs. Rates vary based on the therapist’s level of training, length of session, and type of session.
- $75.00 55-minute session with Graduate Intern
- $90.00 90-minute session with Graduate Intern
- $145.00 55-minute session with Resident Counselor
- $230.00 90-minute session with Resident Counselor
- $165.00 55-minute session with Licensed Counselor
- $260.00 90-minute session with Licensed Counselor
- $185.00 55-minute session with Senior Licensed Counselor
- $295.00 90-minute session with Senior Licensed Counselor
How do I pay for my sessions?
- We accept cash, check, or credit cards. You can enter a credit card through your client account and your counselor will process your payment. Checks can be made out to Sunstone Counseling.
- While we do not accept insurance as a direct form of payment, you can use an HSA or FSA checking account/debit card to pay for services, and you may be eligible for reimbursement for out of network services from your insurance company. Contact us to learn more about payment options.
- Here are questions you should ask your insurance about going out-of-network
What should I expect from therapy?
What will happen in my first session?
Here’s what you can expect during your first appointment:
- You will complete a comprehensive online intake form so your counselor can learn more about you.
- You and your therapist will review the intake form during your first session. You will also discuss what brought you to counseling and what you hope to achieve.
- You’ll collaborate with your counselor to create your individualized goals and a plan for moving forward.
Still have questions?
Where are you located?
During the COVID-19 pandemic, we are only offering video sessions through our confidential and secure video platform, TheraNest. If you already have an account with us, you can log in here. Contact us to find the right therapist for you and to schedule an appointment.
When we can see you in-person again, we have three locations in the heart of the City of Falls Church, McLean, and Old Town Alexandria. Sunstone Counseling is located just five miles from downtown Washington, D.C., and within three miles of most areas of Arlington and Fairfax Counties.
124D East Broad Street
Falls Church, VA 22046
Parking: Free, ample parking is available in the parking lot of the office building
Old Town Alexandria:
112 South Pitt Street
Alexandria, VA 22046
• Metered street parking is available in front of the office.
• There is an hourly paid parking garage directly across the street from the office.
• Free two-hour parking is available in the neighborhoods within two blocks of the office
1485 Chain Bridge Rd Suite 300
McLean, VA 22101
Parking: Free, ample parking is available in front of the office in the McLean Professional Park parking lot
What is your cancellation policy?
We have a 48-hour cancellation policy and will charge a full session fee if you do not contact your counselor by phone or email with an advanced cancellation notice.
Are there career opportunities at Sunstone Counseling?
Yes! We are hiring graduate level Social Work/Counseling Interns, Counselors in Residence, Licensed Professional Counselors (LPC), and Credentialed LPC, LCSW, LMFT Supervisors. Please visit our Careers page for more information.
How do I access TheraNest?
You can log into your client account here. (https://sunstone.mytheranest.com/home/login?ReturnUrl=%2f)
What types of therapeutic approaches does Sunstone use?
Our approaches are tailored to meet the needs of clients and our counselors are trained and experienced in a variety of approaches and methods. Some of these approaches include:
- Sand tray therapy
- Play therapy
- The Gottman Method
- Imago Therapy
- Emotionally Focused Therapy
- Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Dialectical Behavioral Therapy (CBT and DBT)
- Solution-Focused Therapy
How can I stay connected with Sunstone Counseling?
We aim to support you throughout life’s challenges and encourage you to stay connected with us: