We are proud to offer an internship program for graduate students pursuing a Master’s Degree in Clinical Mental Health Counseling or Social Work.
Our internship program is part of our commitment to both the professional field of counseling and to our community. Graduate Interns receive in-person weekly supervision from licensed therapists and through weekly peer consultation groups. The internship program exposes interns to a variety of client populations and clinical issues. Clients, in turn, benefit from reduced session rates and access to professional counseling services which may otherwise have been inaccessible due to financial restrictions.
Internships are available at Sunstone Counseling’s five locations:
- Ashburn and Richmond
- Weekend hours only: McLean, Falls Church, and Old Town Alexandria
Sunstone strives to provide a supportive and collaborative workplace where students can develop their careers. Our practice is designed to help all counselors develop a strong caseload of preferred clients, as well as cultivate their clinical skills and competencies.
Students may fulfill practicum requirements at Sunstone if they are completed along with an internship semester.
Now accepting applications for Spring of 2024 internship opportunities. Application window is August 1st – September 30th 2023. Please click on the applicable link to apply!
- Perform 16-20 hours/week of clinical (direct) and administrative (indirect) functions
- Conduct intake sessions with potential clients
- Conduct 55-min counseling sessions (minimum of six to eight hours of psychotherapy per week)
- Complete all clinical documentation
- Attend weekly supervision to gain clinical support and feedback
- Attend weekly peer supervision groups and cohort meetings
- Conduct relevant assessments and mandatory reporting as necessary
- Participate in individual and practice development
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- High degree of ethics and a practice of discretion and confidentiality
- Strong written and oral communication skills. Excellent listening skills required
- Ability to consider internal and external resources to develop a client treatment plan
- Possess high levels of patience, empathy, and respect
Supervision and Support
Individual Clinical Supervision
- Weekly 1-on-1 meeting with Licensed Supervisor
Weekly Intern Group Supervision
- Weekly group meeting with Clinical Director (all interns participate)
Weekly Peer Group Meetings
- Optional peer consultation (peer groups offered daily; join as many as you wish)
Monthly Cohort Meetings
- Discussion of specialized interests (e.g. Eating Disorders, Race and Identity, Women’s Issues)
- Paid psychologytoday.com membership
- Online counseling bio/profile, including professional headshot
- Marketing of counseling profile via social media
- Flexible scheduling