Yasmeen Richards, MS
|Falls Church (map it)|
|Teletherapy for residents of:|
- Adult (25+)
- Person Centered
“I miss the person I was before having kids. How do I find myself again?”
“I feel so much pressure to be the perfect parent. How do I find the confidence to do things my own way?”
“Will this ever get easier?”
Becoming a parent is a life-changing journey, but doesn’t have to be traveled alone. It would be my privilege to walk with you.
I have specialized training in perinatal mental health from Postpartum Support International, including perinatal mood and anxiety disorders (PMADs), processing birth experiences, traumatic birth, body and mind after baby, and the pre-and postpartum adjustment to parenthood. I have also co-led peer support groups, with Postpartum Support Virginia, since 2020. I am very passionate about supporting women, mothers, birthing people and partners during this extraordinary time in their lives.
My holistic approach blends humanistic, goal-oriented, multicultural and behavioral strategies to help my clients understand the origins of their feelings, and the ways that past hurts are keeping them from living and parenting in their ideal way. We look at parenthood’s effect on all aspects of life, like sleep, diet, self-care, partner relationships, career, personal and cultural identity. Working as a team, we build the self-confidence and skills needed to effect positive change.
I strive to provide a warm, encouraging, and accepting environment for clients to explore their unique personhood. A creative at heart, I incorporate music, movement and breathwork into sessions, as a way of facilitating insight. As a first-generation American and mother, I am uniquely familiar with the complexity of the first generation/immigrant/third culture experience. Celebrating my clients’ individuality is among my greatest joys as a counselor.
I look forward to getting to know you!
I am a first generation Arab-American that spent 10 years living in Europe and Australia. I currently live in my native area of Northern Virginia with my husband and children. When I’m not in session, I love spending time with family and friends, cooking, writing, traveling, hiking, and anything else involving fresh air.
- Anxiety / Panic
- Life Transitions and Adjustment
- Perinatal / Postpartum
- Self-esteem / Personal Growth
- Pursuing Master’s degree in Clinical Mental Health Counseling from The George Washington University (2023)
- Master’s degree from University of Amsterdam
- Bachelor’s degree from Emory University
- Advanced Psychotherapy training in Perinatal Mood & Anxiety Disorders (Postpartum Support International, 2020)
- Perinatal Mental Health: Components of Care training (Postpartum Support International, 2020)
- Postpartum Support Virginia Peer Support Group Facilitator (2020-present)
- Member of American Counseling Association (ACA), Northern Virginia Professional Counselors (NVLPC), Chi Sigma Iota Counseling and Professional Academic Honor Society International (CSI)